I moved from the rural coast of North Carolina to New York City when I was 18 to attend Parsons School of Design, graduating in ’09 with a BFA in Fine Arts. My work was exhibited at DIA Chelsea and Schema Projects Gallery in Bushwick. I became enraptured by the social sphere of underground music communities in Brooklyn which anchored my artistic pursuits for the following decade.
As a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist, I released several albums, creating all visual aspects including music videos, album artwork, accompanying art objects, costumes and set design for my dynamic live performances. I toured extensively as an official performer for festivals including SXSW, Burgerama (CA), Iceland Airwaves, CMJ, and Northside. I worked with Burger Records (CA), Happenin’ Records (AL), 307 Knox Records (NC), GP Stripes Records (NY) and many talented musicians.
Over the past few years, the pendulum of my expression has returned to Fine Arts, primarily painting. I am developing a series of works that utilize classical painting methods to interpret the conflated reality that consumerism must maintain to mask the industries’ harmful effects such as offshore oil spills and plastic pollution in the ocean. I trust these themes instinctively spawn from my upbringing by the sea, where the water provided our livelihood, food and recreation.
- IG: @holly_overton_
- Press Links
- Medium: The Woman on the Beach: The Practice of Joy, Sept 2020
- Plaster Cocktail Magazine: Vol. 3 REVOLUTION December 2020
- Marietta Magazine: Video, Performance + Experimental Art// Vol. 3: 2020
- Sweet Static, Video Premiere: Holly Overton- The Woman On The Beach, July 2019
- Bushwick Daily, Holly Overton shares 'Transient Love', May 2019
- Audiofemme, Holly Overton with Midnight People, August 2017
- BTR Today, Every New Day with Holly Overton and Midnight People, May 2017
- Impose Magazine, Holly Overton 'Living Without You', May 2017
- Impose Magazine, Holly Overton 'The Split', May 2016
- Times Free Press, Brooklyn's Country Rockers Juniper Rising, September 2014