Fifteen years ago, I moved from the coast of North Carolina to New York City on scholarship to Parson’s School of Design, graduating in ’09 with a BFA in studio art. My work was exhibited at DIA Chelsea and I was represented by Schema Projects Gallery. Anchoring my artistic pursuits has been my involvement in underground music and artistic communities, where my focus has been on musical performance and composition for over a decade. As a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist, I toured nationally and internationally as an official performer at festivals, such as SXSW (TX), Burgerama (CA), Iceland Airwaves, CMJ, Midpoint Music Fest (OH), and Northside (NY). I worked with Burger Records (CA), Happenin' Records (AL), 307 Knox Records (NC), GP Stripes (NY) and many talented musicians, releasing several albums and creating the visual aspects as well, including videos, album artwork, costumes and sets for my dynamic live performances.
The pendulum of my artistic expression is returning to Fine Arts, primarily painting. I utilize classical methods to communicate contemporary socio-economic and gender based concepts. I’ve also recently begun working as an art preparator at commercial galleries. Acutely inspecting (and appreciating) the toil and strength of women artists' vital need to be seen, heard, and represented in art history is inspiring. And teaching private art lessons has taught me that my art is a nurturing and informative currency, so I am excited about what I will paint for the rest of my life!
- IG: @holly_overton_
- Press Links
- Sweet Static, Video Premiere: Holly Overton- The Woman On The Beach, July 2019
- Bushwick Daily, Holly Overton shares 'Transient Love', May 2019
- Audiofemme, Holly Overton with Midnight People, August 2017
- BTR Today, Every New Day with Holly Overton and Midnight People, May 2017
- Impose Magazine, Holly Overton 'Living Without You', May 2017
- Impose Magazine, Holly Overton 'The Split', May 2016
- Times Free Press, Brooklyn's Country Rockers Juniper Rising, September 2014